Faculty Profiles - Suzanne Estler
Associate Professor Emerita
Phone: (207) 581-2416
Douglass College (Rutgers University)
Ph.D. Stanford University
- Higher Education and the Law
- Doctoral Seminar
- History of Higher Education
- Dynamics of Change
- Social Context of Higher Education
- Organizational Behavior
Research & public service:
- Speaking, consulting and training re: equal opportunity and diversity in higher education and private corporations (as UM director of Equal Opportunity 1986-97)
- Research on effective schools, educational leadership, organizational change, career mobility in higher education, and gender equity in intercollegiate athletics
- Realizing the Dream: A Proposal for Achieving Gender Equity in Athletics at the University of Maine.(1995). Office of the President, University of Maine, Orono, Maine.
- Responding to Sexual Harassment in the Post-Thomas Hearings Era. (October 25, 1991). Maine Perspective, Vol. 3, No. 11. University of Maine, Orono, ME.
- Serendipity and Career Mobility. (October 1991.) ADVANCE: Maine’s Newsletter for Women in Higher Education. American Council on Education/National Identification Program, Vol. IV, Issue 2.
- Decision Making. (1988). in Norman J. Boyan (Ed.), Handbook of Research in Educational Administration, Longman: White Plains, NY.
- Accrual Mobility: Job mobility in Higher Education through Responsibility Accrual. (March/April 1985). Journal of Higher Education. with Anne S. Miner.
- Gender, Culture, and Architectural Values. CRIT (A Journal of the American Institute of Architects). with Labelle Prussin, David Ryckman and Robert Sasanoff, Fall 1983.
- Evolving Jobs as a Form of Career Mobility: Some Policy Implications, (Winter 1981). Public Personnel Management (Journal of International Personnel Management Association), Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 353-365.
- Women of the Fifties: Their Past Sexual Experiences and Current Sexual Attitudes in the Context of Mother/Daughter Relationships.(1981). with Wenda Brewster and Marilyn Yalom. Sex Roles , Vol. 7, No. 9, pp. 877-887,
- Systematic Analysis and University Decision Making: The Case of Sexual Equity. ERIC Document Ed-187-211. Paper presented at the Association for Higher Education Annual Meeting, Washington, D. C., March 1980.
- Women in Decision Making. (1977). Women’s Leadership and Authority in the Health Professions. Proceedings of a conference at the University of California-Santa Cruz, June 19-21, 1977. Washington, D.C.: DHEW/Program for Women in Health Sciences, pp.196-217,
- “ Women as Leaders in Public Education.” (Winter 1975). SIGNS: Journal of Women in Culture and Society, Vol. 1, No. 2.
- President, Board of Directors, Audubon Expedition Institute, Belfast, ME
- Member, Association for the Study of Higher Education; American Educational Research Association.
- Previous professional experience in higher education includes teaching/research, administration, and student services. This has included experience at the University of Washington, Claremont Graduate School, Stanford University, the State University of New York at Binghamton (now Binghamton University), and Ohio University.
- ERIC Clearinghouse On Higher Education, a key gateway to weblinks, literature, research, associations and publishers related to higher education: http://www.eriche.org/
- Can’t keep up in higher education without the Chronicle of Higher Education: http://chronicle.com/
- Access to higher education law information including great weblinks, Nat’l Assn. of College and University Attorneys Homepage: http://www.nacua.org/
- Gateway to everything legal from citation forms to supreme court cases: FindLaw: Internet Legal Resources: http://www.findlaw.com/
- Interested in ADA law and technical manuals regarding access, policies etc?: US Department of Justice ADA Home Page: http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm
- Government agency responsible for enforcing nondiscrimination laws related to employment (including ADA employment provisions): EEOC Home Page: http://www.eeoc.gov/
- Government Agency responsible for education including the enforcement of nondiscrimination laws in educational programs through its Office of Civil Rights: U.S. Department of Education (ED) Home Page:http://www.ed.gov/
- Society of Human Resource Management and associated weblinks: http://www.shrm.org/hrlinks/
- The Human Rights Campaign: http://www.hrcusa.org/
- Access to alternate dispute resolution resources: HGI Alternate Dispute Resolution: http://hg.org/adr.html
- Gateways to public higher educational institutions in Maine:
Maine Technical College System – Welcome: http://www.mtcs.net/
University of Maine System: http://www.maine.edu/
University of Maine: http://www.umaine.edu/